7 Best Sunscreen for Oily Skin- Dermatologist`s choice
Choose your favorite sunscreen for oily skin
If your skin feels oily and looks shiny a few hours after washing your face, your skin is likely oily. Oily skin means that the sebaceous glands under the hair follicles are overactive and produce more sebum than usual.
The last thing you want is to add more oil to your skin with skin care products. You can assume this means that you shouldn’t use sunscreen if you have oily skin, but all skin types need sunscreen.
The key is to find the right sunscreen for oily skin that don’t add more oil to your skin and don’t cause breakouts.
Keep in mind that, as with any skincare product, the process may require a bit of trial and error until you find the sunscreen that works best for your skin.
Our dermatologists are not affiliated with any of the following companies.
1- Aveeno Positively Radiant Sheer Daily Moisturizer with SPF 30
One way to get your daily dose of sunscreen without adding more products is to use dual-use moisturizer and sunscreen.
Glammpop dermatologists love this anti-aging sunscreen for oily skin because it provides broad spectrum protection against UVA (UVA) and UVB (UVB) rays while remaining lightweight. The main active ingredients are chemicals that help absorb UV rays, including:
- Doesn’t feel greasy
- Oil-free and non-comedogenic, which means it won’t clog your pores.
- Dual moisturizer and sunscreen, saving you from having to use two different products
- Properly reduces the appearance of dark spots for a more even complexion
- It is not clear why this product is less greasy than other moisturizers in the market.
- While not hypoallergenic, sunscreen contains soy, which may be prohibited if you are allergic to soy.
- It can stain clothes and other fabrics.
Also read-How to use Vitamin E capsules for face-Methods and suggestions
2- EltaMD UV Clear Facial Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 46
If you are looking for more SPF, you can use EltaMD`s facial sunscreen. Like Aveeno facial moisturizer, it is broad spectrum but also has a bit more protection with an SPF of 46.
Its main active ingredients are zinc oxide and octinoxate, which is a combination of physical and chemical blockers that can absorb UV rays and reflect them away from the skin.It is one of the best sunscreen for oily skin.
- Oil-free and lightweight
- Mineral base with zinc oxide provides sun protection without a greasy appearance
- Designed to help even skin tone
- It is also safe to use in cases of rosacea.
- Niacinamide (vitamin B3) helps calm inflammation, which can be a precursor to acne.
- More expensive than the competition
- It is not classified as noncomedogenic.
3- La Roche-Posay Anthelios Ultralight Sunscreen Fluid
While EltaMD UV Clear is designed for oily and acne-prone skin, not everyone wants the matte finish the product provides. If this sounds like you, you might consider using another facial sunscreen for oily skin with a matte finish, but a bit thicker, like this one from La Roche-Posay.
- SPF 60
- Has an Cell Ox Shield, which deflects UV rays and free radicals
- Light texture and fast absorption.
- Can even out skin tone
- It can leave your skin a little oilier
- It may work best for aging skin that needs more moisture.
- SPF 60 can be misleading – SPF 15 blocks 90 percent of UV rays, while SPF 45 to 98 percent
- More expensive than the competition
4- Olay Daily Moisturizing Cream with SPF 30
If you’re looking for an affordable sunscreen for your oily skin, consider Olay Daily Moisturizer with SPF 30.
While slightly thicker than the mattifying effects of EltaMD and La Roche-Posay, Olay’s version is still oil-free and non-comedogenic. The main active ingredients in this sunscreen for oily skin are:
- Non-comedogenic and oil-free.
- Contains vitamins B-3, B-5, and vitamin E for anti-aging benefits.
- Contains aloe vera to soothe the skin for a light conditioning effect.
- Suitable for sensitive skin
- It could be a little oilier than the other facial sunscreens on this list.
- It cannot be applied to damaged skin, which can be difficult if you are recovering from acne or rosacea.
- Doesn`t Even skin tone
Also read–List of Best Oily Skin Care Products for visible results
5- CeraVe Skin Renewing Day Cream
Known for its range of products for sensitive skin, CeraVe is a leading brand in the treatment of dermatitis.
CeraVe Regenerating Day Cream has the added benefit of a broad spectrum sunscreen with SPF 30, which is the minimum protection recommended by the American Academy of Dermatology.
However, our dermatologists have found that this facial sunscreen has a thicker texture than previous products, which may not be ideal if your skin is oily and you live in a more humid climate.
In addition to the active sunscreen for oily skin ingredients, zinc oxide and octinoxate, this product also contains retinoids to treat fine lines and wrinkles.
- Suitable for sensitive skin
- Contains anti-aging ingredients, including retinoid to treat wrinkles and hyaluronic acid to hydrate skin.
- Contains ceramides that can have bulky effects.
It may work best on combination skin due to its thick texture.
- Best for mature skin
- May leave a greasier feeling
- Heavier texture
6- Nia 24 Damage Prevention Broad Spectrum Sun SPF 30 UVA / UVB sunscreen
Nia 24 Sun Damage Prevention is a broad spectrum sunscreen for oily skin that does not excessively oil the skin.
Unlike other sunscreens for oily skin on this list, Nia 24 aims to help treat moderate to severe damage from the sun. All this thanks to the combination of zinc and titanium oxide, along with Vitamin B3 that can help unify your complexion and texture.
- Helps protect against sun damage and treats signs of previous sun damage
- Contains 5 percent niacin formulated to improve skin tone and texture
- Contains vitamin E to help neutralize free radicals that can further damage the skin.
- feels a bit heavy
- It takes a little longer to absorb into the skin.
- Hard to rub if you have facial hair, according to our dermatologists
Also read-Top 10 Face pack for Oily Skin to get Clear and Glowing Skin
7- Neutrogena, oil-free facial moisturizer, sunscreen SPF 15
Neutrogena is perhaps one of the most popular skincare brands for oily skin. The brand offers a moisturizing formula and SPF 15 sunscreen.
Although advertised as oil-free, our dermatologists have found that this moisturizer can leave skin oily. Part of this has to do with the fact that its active ingredients are not mineral-based.Hence, it is one of the best sunscreen for oily skin. These include:
- Oil-free and non-comedogenic
Recognized brand and affordable product line
- Non-greasy like other dual moisturizers from the same brand
- Declared humidity up to 12 hours in a row.
It may work best during the dry winter months when your skin is not oily.
Leaves a greasy residue, as reported by our dermatologists
It has a heavy feel, which can make it difficult to wear under makeup.
Contains the minimum FDA recommendations. Reliable source of SPF 15
What is Oily Skin Treatment
Using sunscreen for oily skin every day can help protect your skin from sun damage, and some of the products on this list can help reduce pre-existing signs of damage.
However, with oily skin, you may need to take other steps to keep your oily skin care and looking its best, all without adding sebum and shine.Oily skin treatment include:
- Wash your face with a body wash twice a day, especially after exercise.
Use a toner to help soak up any greasy residue and remove dead skin cells.
Apply a serum containing a retinoid or a spot treatment with benzoyl peroxide, especially if you have regular acne
- Then use a moisturizer or any of the dual moisturizers from this list
- Gently dry skin throughout the day to absorb excess oil.
- Make sure all your cosmetics are oiled and non-comedogenic.
- Ask your doctor about medications, such as isotretinoin or oral contraceptives if you have severe acne
When you have oily skin, it can be tempting to avoid using sunscreen for oily skin care. However, not only do ultraviolet rays cause skin damage and skin cancer, but sunburn can dry out oils on the surface, which can make the oil glands more active.
The key is to choose a sunscreen for oily skin that protects your skin without making it oilier. You can start with the ones on our list until you find the product that best meets your needs.
When in doubt, check the product label and look for terms like “pure,” “water-based,” and “oil-free.”
Also read-Choose the Best Toner For Oily Skin-List of top 11 Toners 2021